Livin' the Good Life

I love food. And really, who doesn't? And since I am a SAHM (stay at home mom) I have had to learn a bit about making food... edible. I much prefer baking (ovens are simple), however my cooking skills have improved immensely and I am really starting to get the hang of it. Over the last three years my husband and I have tried all sorts of new recipes, modified many of them, and completely come up with our own quite frequently. With that said, this blog is meant to share some of the recipes we love. A few might even make it into the restaurant we would love to open one day!

August 31, 2011

Dipping Oil for Bread

So this is a dipping oil much like the appetizer at Carrabba's. I make homemade french bread and serve with pasta dishes. Tonight we are having Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo and steamed broccoli maybe; not sure on the veggie yet :) Anyway, this is super easy to make and super delicious. Could also be a great gift for the holidays with a bottle of olive oil!

Ingredients:
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 - 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil

Combine all ingredients except oil on a shallow bowl or plate. Pour olive oil over top. Serve with fresh bread for dipping.

This recipe makes more than we eat in one sitting, so I combine all the dry ingredients in a small container and store in spice cabinet. I spoon out about 1/2 to 1 tsp of mix and add additional ingredients for the two of us. (Only as much oil as needed-- maybe 2 or 3 tbsp??) We also liked this recipe when we briefly toasted the fresh minced garlic in a pan until golden.

2 comments: